Mesquite Wildlife Oasis ~ Road School Review!
Today’s Road School Review brings us to:
10901 S 399th Ave. Tonopah, AZ 85354
Outdoor Classroom Days can be booked ahead of time with several different hands on science objectives such as “Wildlife Biologist, Nature Walk (with a Guide), Pollinators, Aquatic Insects Hands On Activity (my kids loved this!), Mammologist Mystery Skull Experiment (another favorite!), Invasive Species, The Water Cycle, Geology, Erosion, Desert Plants, Herpetology, Ornithologist Study, and so much more!! See the Mesquite Wildlife Oasis directly for current available curriculum and availability of outdoor classroom experiences.
Without hesitation we publish this review and we will list our 5 top reasons why you should schedule a Mesquite Wildlife Oasis Outdoor Classroom day!
- We learned outside the entire day! (8:45 am – 1:15 pm)
2. Excellent Mesquite Wildlife Educators used a cooperative learning approach that provided a safe environment for children to explore nature, make observations, work together, and truly take ownership of their learning experience. We want to say “Thank You!” to the fantastic Outdoor Classroom Educators!
3. We learned about animals outdoors, without observing animals in a caged environment. As much as possible, I avoid large mammal captivity and caged examples of animals in our Home Education, and instead look for opportunities for exploring the natural habitats first, and then rescue or sanctuary educational preserves. This was an entire day outdoors that emphasized respect for animals, plants, and native habitats. This experience was a benefit to our Multicultural Home Education philosophy.
4. ALL my children engaged in learning. The Outdoor Classroom at Mesquite Wildlife Sanctuary completely understood we were a Home Education group, and supported our multi-age learning approach. They grouped our large number of students into smaller classes to assist with activity objectives, yet continued to foster respect for learning of all ages. Here is my 3 year old listening to the Outdoor Educator and completing a worksheet. We pulled a wagon (much easier than a stroller) over the rocky desert floor.
Below is her FAVORITE part of the day: learning to respectfully handle and return the aquatic insects after observing them for a specific purpose. The students removed a bucket of water from the pond, isolated the aquatic life species and then used those species to decide if the water was fresh or if it was polluted and unsafe to drink. This can be determined even if you have nothing available to help you just by examining the species and knowing what species can survive in only fresh water. They (and I) learned SO much!
5. There are many more things about the day that we loved but I will end with this. There is SO much to learn from this Wildlife Oasis!! The structures of rotating sessions kept my children (ages 3, 6, and 9) all engaged and enjoying their learning. I won’t give away all the fun learning activities at the Mesquite Wildlife Oasis – because I know you will want to contact them today to set up an amazing Road School adventure for your own Home Education Group or Classroom! Have a great time!
Happy Road Schooling ~
Joy & the Junior Review Team @ ibelieveinjoy.com
Disclosure: No payment was received in exchange for doing this review. We only post reviews that we have truly tried ourselves, said WOW, and would recommend a friend.