Looking for an easy fun science project for kids? This 3 Ingredient Science Slop teaches solids and liquids in a fun way! We were a doing properties of matter unit with my home preschool daughters and I wanted to start the unit with a fun science project. You can do this project easily at your home or classroom also! You only need 3 ingredients. Free Printable Recipe Below.
- 2 cups cornstarch
- 1 cup tap water
- 2+ Tablespoons turmeric
- Get ingredients and these supplies ready: 1 large mixing bowl, 1 large flat tray to protect table, an apron or big shirt to protect clothes from SLOP. Baby wipes and soapy / water ready for easy clean up.
- Wear apron or shirt to protect clothes from SLOP.
- Place Bowl onto Tray.
- Mix cornstarch, water, and turmeric in a large mixing bowl by hand.
- Let the Science Fun Begin!
- I do not like using chemicals or artificial dyes, so I used natural organic turmeric to color our SLOP! It worked great!
- Once you mix the ingredients, now time for some science!
- Scoop up some SLOP and roll it into a ball?
- Hold it in your hand and let it transform to a liquid?
- Leave it in the bowl, now try to poke or "gently punch" down on it- what happens?
- How many seconds does it take for the substance to transform in your hands?
- Do you know WHY??
- A solid has a defined shape. A liquid takes the shape of its container. In this project, when SLOP is made we use cornstarch which doesn't actually dissolve into the water, but the particles seem to slide, especially in certain positions, so it feels like a liquid at times. But not always! When does it feel like a solid? Look around as you feel both properties of solids verses liquids. Name some solids you see while playing with the SLOP. Name some liquids you see.
- ** EASY CLEAN UP: Once my kids had their fun and learning time, I had them drip the SLOP mostly off their hands into the bowl. Then I took a baby wipe and wrapped it around each of their hands and had them close their hand into a fist so the wipe was secure. This was a great trick to stop any SLOP from dripping onto my carpet as they walked to the kitchen sink. Then I used soap and water to wash them off right away. The turmeric kept their hands a bit yellow for a few hand washings, and then was completely gone. (It can stain clothes or surfaces if you don't wash it up right away.) I cleaned everything up with warm soapy water immediately and it went great!!
- Hope you have fun making this 3 Ingredient Science SLOP!
- More Fun @ ibelieveinjoy.com ~
- Recipes, Hair Tutorials, Science Projects & JOY!
For storage: We stored our Science SLOP in an air tight container in the fridge and played with it several different days during the week.
Do you have a fun and easy science project that you love to do with your kids or students? Have you found a creative way to color something naturally? Share it with me! ~ Joy